I have created a page for each of you to fill in with your final project content. Follow the steps below to get your skeleton in place. We will view the skeletons together on 12/4 (you will talk about your project informally – you do not need to prepare a formal presentation).
1) Log in to wordpress.com. Hover over your name in the top right corner of the screen, and find the Representing Subcultures & Social Movements site. Once you’re in it, go to the Dashboard and find the page with your name on it. Now you can edit your own page. PLEASE DO NOT EDIT ANYONE’S PAGE OTHER THAN YOUR OWN!
2) Change the title from your name to whatever your project title is. You can also edit the permalink (just under the title box) so that your page URL is more explanatory than just your name.
3) Copy the text of your paper into the main text area. After pasting, you may need to adjust some of the formatting/styles so that your text looks more web-friendly. You may just use placeholder text for now if you’d prefer to wait until you receive feedback on your paper draft.
4) Decide where you want images/video/other multimedia to appear within your text. Once you’ve placed your cursor where you want the media, use the Add Media button (just above the main text area). You can either insert media using a URL, or if your media does not already exist on the web, you can upload it to our class WordPress library.
5) You should also insert hyperlinks wherever possible (without going overboard). This means when you refer to public figures or texts, turn these mentions into links so that your reader could explore and gather more information. To do this, highlight the text you want to turn into a link, then click on the little chain icon at the top of the main text area, then paste the URL you want to link to into the box that pops up. (You can just do a few of these as a trial run by 12/4 and then finish them all when you publish your final version.)
You should have steps 1-5 completed by class time on 12/4, with the understanding that your text and hyperlinks may change after you receive feedback on your draft. I will be available in office hours to help you on Monday (from 11-12), or Wednesday (from 11-12 or 3:30-4:30). You could also ask whoever uploaded your group’s blog post, because they probably understand WordPress basics.
6) Once you are ready to publish your page, change the visibility setting from Private to Public (the setting for this is in the right sidebar menu). Your page will be viewable using the URL repsub13.wordpress.com/projects/yourname, or whatever you changed the URL to. Once everyone’s page is uploaded I will update the menu so that each of your pages comes up in the Student Projects drop-down menu!